Saturday, October 10, 2015

What's New in ELA Class: Update 10/10

After reading  "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" we did some collaborative group work exploring the actual town in NY that got its name from Washington Irving's story.
The benefits of having students work in groups is supported by research, and I was impressed by how well the students did with this activity.
The week of 10/12 we'll work on writing entries for author Bruce Coville's annual Halloween Story Contest.
I promised the students I'd post some videos of Coville reading his stories from previous years, so check those out here, here, and here.
Have you asked how your student's independent reading is going? I'm progressing (a bit slowly, I admit). Since school started in September I've read Game, The Sixth Gun: Volume 1 and am now reading The Book of Laney (the author of which went to the same high school I did: Go Bulldogs!)

No comments:

Post a Comment